04 October 2008

Just Walk Away

I've been reading a book about being a Christlike parent and it talked about not reviling.  So, when your child hits, bites, kicks, screams, etc like they all do we should not reciprocate but just walk away.  So, last night when Joshua refused to get in bed and started throwing a fit I walked away.  I think that was the fastest I've ever seen him get in bed.  The last thing he wanted was to lose attention and he saw very quickly that it was the effect he was getting, so he changed course quickly.  I tried the same thing on Jacob this morning when he jumped in bed with me and started hitting and kicking . . . I just left.  He quickly came and said sorry and was much softer.  I think I'm going to like this new approach.  I also like it because I don't get upset, I get to go cool off and they learn they aren't getting what they want with that kind of behavior.  Win! Win! for everyone!

1 comment:

Glennjamen said...

I completely understand the walking away thing. If only I would let go of my control issues and take advantage of it more often. Once I locked myself in my room when Eden was having a royal fit. It was amazing! She stopped her tantrum and began to refocus on mom. " What's the matter mommy?" she asked. My reply was mommy can't be calm right now so she is having a "TIME OUT". You know what? Eden sat by the door until my time out was finished. I was amazed that the house didn't fall apart during my absence. I think Eden learned something from the experience. I know I did.