14 April 2012

Doing Too Much at the Same Time


I am sure that I am not the only mother/wife who has been accused of doing too many things at the same time, but this morning I pushed the boundaries and James wasn't here to give me the look, so I thought I would share it with everyone!

So, last night I made my mental list of what needed to be done: laundry (soccer clothes needed to be washed before the first game at 11), make bread, feed boys, get boys ready for soccer games, and if time take them over to the YMCA for 'Healthy Kids Day.' I set an alarm for 7:30 AM (yes, I am a diehard). But then at 7:30 I heard rain and thought that the games would be canceled, so I rolled over and went back to sleep and didn't get out of bed until 8. I still wanted to stay on top of stuff, so I had the boys start collecting laundry while I showered. Michael started the laundry while I started grinding wheat and making breakfast. Then, the phone rang and I learned that the games were on. Oops! So, did I change my plans? Of course not! But I knew I couldn't waste anytime, so I got the bread going while I ate my breakfast and set a timer for the laundry, so I wouldn't miss one second. Then, we read scriptures, moved the laundry and got ready to go to the YMCA. Yes, I still thought it would be fun to go. This is where James should be giving me the look. As soon as I started the bread cooking we headed out (it is a good thing that the Y is only 3 minutes away).

I took the boys around to the different booths (watching the clock carefully). The first booth had them join a burpee competition. Michael did 16 burpees in 30 seconds. If you think that doesn't sound impressive I challenge you to try it! Joshua did 15, he wouldn't want me to forget to mention that. Another booth had you label different fruits and vegetables. It was fun to watch the boys work and properly label foods like Jicama, kale, star fruit, asian pear, artichoke and more. Together they got them all right and pretty quickly. It is amazing what these kids remember. We got to the end of the booths and the last one was a man making balloon stuff for the kids. But it was time for me to go, so I left them in line and ran home. I moved the laundry, grabbed Michael's soccer socks and headed up to check on the bread. It was PERFECT!!!! YES, I pulled it off! I then headed back, got the boys ready for their games and we headed over to the fields. We did it!!!! It was a great moment of victory! I love it when it all works out. So, it is moments like those that keep me going and lead me to do too much over and over again. :)

Oh, and here are some pics from their soccer games. I think I need to take photography lessons, but these will have to do for now.





6 comments:

Lynne said...

Liz, you are amazingly awesome! Congratulations on fitting just a little more than is truly possible into one half day!

Joseph Petersen said...

What is a "burpee"

Jodi said...

Proof that it can work. Enough with these nay saying husbands.

James said...

Nay saying husbands? Sounds like you should trade your naysayer in for an older model that gives all the credit where its due. I'll work on him. :)

Liz said...

Scroll to the bottom for a video. Their form was definitely not this good, but their kids!

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/27/the-burpee-the-one-exercise-to-rule-them-all/

Lynne said...

Wow that's a squat thrust and a jumping jack all in one! You should get your husbands to do this...