27 May 2010

Simple Machines

So, James brought home our new GAS range for which he is very excited. We wanted to save a little money, so we picked it up ourselves and then got to bring it in the house. The dolly was very helpful but wouldn't work on the stairs inside the house, so we tried pushing it up. Unfortunately, it decided to get stuck leaving us with a small problem to solve. James was sure if we just kept pushing it would go up but seeing as brute force is not one of the skills I possess, I looked for another solution and found it with a simple inclined plane. I took a board and slid it under the range, so that he could just push it right up. It worked like a charm and the boys got to see a simple machine in action!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Let's hear it for the math teacher!

James said...

I'm pretty sure this became an "all brawn, no brains" blog. Not totally thrilled about that. Plus, if that's what you think, you're wrong—I wanted you to lift, not just push; we were trying to accomplish the same objective.

Liz said...

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way I was just tired and couldn't push/lift the way he wanted me too, so I came up with a better solution, for me at least. :)