30 September 2008

Potty Training Day 1

So, here we go!  I have been putting this off for some time and just decided to dive in head first this morning.  Jacob has already gone in the toilet, so that helped.  Step 1 what do I do in the toilet--success.  We're still waiting for that first bowel movement, but he has been telling me when he is poopy for awhile, so I'm hoping that will help.  He has enjoyed going and getting a fruit snack when he is done.  He still struggles putting his underwear back on when he is done, but there are worse things.  Step 2  First accident.  I decided that this is actually a very important step.  He will never know what he is supposed to do unless he knows what not to do.  I'm actually surprised he had an accident since he was going every 10 - 15 minutes but I am glad he did.  He thought it was yucky and I hope he didn't like it.  Step 3 Identify when he needs to go potty.  I don't think we are there yet but we still have time, so that is where we are.  He is drinking water all the time, so at least he gets to practice a lot.  

I must admit it has been awhile since I have had to do this as Joshua is now almost 5 and feel out of practice but we're just taking it in stride.  He has been good about it and willing to do what I ask which is nice!  If anyone has great advise let me know.  The best advise I've been given is just to not give up, so we are in this until it is done.  I'm hoping it is as simple as it was for Joshua; just two days of torture and then it clicked and we were done.  So, pray that he gets it soon and that I survive!  :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hurrah Liz!!!! Hope you enjoy your potty experience! I always think I have great advice, but I find the best thing is to just be consistent (and don't get mad.)

Mom