16 January 2008

Bedtime

Bedtime is the time dreaded by most parents.  I had a most fascinating experience tonight at bedtime.

Wednesday nights are a little crazy in our house because the boys are involved in gymnastics and classes go from 4:15 - 6:00 PM.   So, we usually get home around 6:15 PM, eat a lovely dinner prepared by my most amazing husband and then head to bed.  But tonight was a bit different.  James is out of town sharing his talents with the Chicago area.  So, we arrived home at 6:15 as usual but instead of dinner on the table there was nothing.  I sent the boys up to get their pajamas on and threw a frozen pizza in the oven.  I have never professed to be a great chef.  :)  I must admit that this was no ordinary frozen pizza; run to Wal-mart some day (if you dare) and get their Supreme pre-made pizzas (they don't come frozen just premade).  I think you'll be impressed.  Once dressed we ran upstairs and put away the toys and finished picking up their rooms.  

Then, we headed downstairs and ate dinner.  Pretty uneventful except that Michael decided that he didn't like corn.  Oh well!  Then, as we were finishing up the phone rang.  I answered and spoke briefly with Michelle.  Then, moments later the phone rang again and then again.  Why all at once?  I don't understand.  By the time I was off the phone for the third time I looked in the living room and saw Joshua laying on the couch with a pillow and blanket.  He said he was tired and wanted to go to sleep.  Who is this child?  I had never met him before tonight.  I finished getting Jacob ready for bed and was headed up when Joshua refused to move, so I carried them both up to find Michael laying in my bed too tired to move.  So, I put Joshua and Jacob in bed and helped move Michael to his bed.  And that was it.  Bedtime-done.  It was the most amazing thing ever.  I just pray that it happens every night for the rest of my life!

How did this happen I asked myself.  As I pondered this question I thought about this morning when they were all up by 6:30 to say good-bye to Daddy before he left for tour.  Then, we headed to the library for story time and a little play time (quietly of course).  After lunch and quiet time I then had them carry old boxes out to the curb to be taken away with the garbage in the morning.  Then, after a little more play time we headed to gymnastics for some great physical exercise.  I wonder why they were so tired.   Now I need to think of new ways to wear them out!  All ideas welcome!

Overall it was a fantastic day!  

No comments: