02 May 2012

Español y el Espíritu Santo

Today I taught my last music class of the semester almost completely in Spanish. It was a strange feeling—I've dabbled in language and had conversation with other students/people in French and Spanish, but I stood and delivered today in a completely foreign language. We played a quiz game to prepare for the final, so I repeated a lot of phrases like "What is . . . " ("Que es") and "What is the difference between . . ." ("Que es la diferencía entre") and my personal favourite, "True or false . . ." ("cierto o falso . . .") Once I got past those, though, I had to tackle music and geography specific vocabulary like rhythm (ritmico) and Middle East (Oriente Medio,) and that took a little more thought. I spoke slowly and even gave some responses in Spanish when they didn't know the answers. That just made them mad. Pobrecitos . . .

My endeavour was fueled by a learning community the Spanish teacher and I taught this semester. Our students are enrolled in Non-Western Music and Spanish, and they take both together. As a result, she attends my class, and I attend hers. I certainly didn't study well this semester, but I'm confident that I mastered more Spanish than any other person in the class. It was definitely a worthwhile project, and I wish I could continue my Spanish studies. Or take up another language and learn just enough to get myself food, water, and a bathroom.

The sad part of the experience is that those students, along with Profesora Dickerson are leaving for Ecuador next week, and I'll not be accompanying them. It just breaks my little heart, but I'll be at the wedding, to be sure. We had originally planned to take the trip during Spring Break, but because of financial deadlines and some lag on the part of travel agencies, we had to push it back to May. This all went down in August, and as soon as it was decided that we had to postpone, I felt terrible about it. I knew that I couldn't go on the trip. I tried to get another instructor to teach and accompany, but they wanted me to teach it and not go if that was necessary. I was so unsettled, almost angry at the change and the way I felt about it. Nonetheless, I complied with the promptings, and withdrew from the travel portion of the course.

Of course, several months later we learned that Marquie would be married during the exact same week as the Ecuador trip. I would have missed it completely and I would have been locked in to the trip financially and contractually. So, as fun as it's been to practice my Spanish and party like a linguist, I won't get to practice it in the famous market of Otavala while I haggle for native Andean instruments or the world 's most perfect molcajete. And you know what? That's alright with me.

Estoy bien y soy feliz.

3 comments:

Justin said...

I certainly don't know much Spanish, but I do know that you are one of the people I look up to most in this world. And it isn't because you are taller than me. Because you aren't. Ha. At least I have one thing on you. Thanks for being who you are, and giving me such a bright light to follow in this crazy and dark world. Can't wait to have you stay at my house for an entire week plus. Safe driving.

Lynne said...

I wondered what all the Spanish facebooking was about. Thanks so much for your sacrifice. I'm imagining a new baby had a big place in this decision, but I don't know what I would do without your help at Marquie's wedding. I am so excited to be working with my family again on this major family project!

Kates said...

I too wondered what all the Spanish on facebook was about. That is sooo cool. It's a shame that you aren't able to go but hopefully you feel ok about it now.

"Party like a linguist..." Love it :)