10 September 2011

GAME DAY 1

Well, Liz is off having a weekend of fun, and we're here batchin' it the way guys do when their pretty lady is out of town. I'd love to say we sat around watching television and eating pizza and chips and belching, but we didn't. We did, however, run three soccer practices in the rain at the same time last night, and ran ourselves through three soccer games today. Lucky for us, we lived. Sometimes you can't ask for more than that. We even won all three games, 6-1, 6-2, and 8-2.

It was my first time coaching, and I probably won't do it again. It reminded me why I don't teach public school . . .

THE PARENTS.

They actually sent an ambassador to advise me on proper technique. Apparently we were winning by too much, and they wanted me to pull back. Seriously, I can't win, even when I win. We were the 8-2, just in case you were wondering. I'm glad I stick religiously to my sports parent motto: let the coach do his job and cheer loud, no matter what, because I sure can't do it any better. I think next year I'll go back to just being a parent.

We made some jam, pear butter, and broke in my new dutch oven with one fine chili. The boys also enjoyed some time at the park, and watching the old biplanes do tricks over the city. It was a great day, but we'll be glad when our pretty lady is back.

1 comment:

Kates said...

It's my sports motto as well... or will be someday if I'm ever a sports mom. I'm sure those parents wouldn't have wanted to coach in the rain the night before...