02 February 2011

Snowstorms, shovels, and neighbourhoods

Just for the record, it's not shoveling.

at all.

Shoveling is when you take your shiny shovel and push snow to the edge of the driveway, toss it up over the edge, and repeat until your cracked concrete shows its smiling face once again from house to street.

This was not like that.

at all.

This was using the world's largest spatula and carefully carving gigantic masses of snow cake that you carefully carry to the edge of the yard and feed to the constantly bloating, ever so ungrateful lawn and then turning around to grab the lower layer left behind because the spatula wasn't big enough and you weren't strong enough to get it all at once. I can now, with certainty, testify that our lawn has enjoyed its fill of snow cake.

Despite the inclement and unpleasant weather, I saw something in our neighbourhood I've never before observed: Our neighbours spoke to one another and to us! Michael helped Tim and Jill with their driveway yesterday so they could get their cars to the garage, and this afternoon I was able to help our new neighbour (NEW NEIGHBOURS!) Josh finish off his. I watched as Jill helped our across the street neighbour finish his drive, and marveled at the way this storm got us all out at the same time in a place where we could talk and laugh about the monumental task set before each of us.

After a few hours we're now all safe and warm and back inside where we should be, and according to the unplowed roads we'll be here for a good while yet.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Awesome description. We did snow cake twice last year...until a nice member of the ward brought his big growly truck roaring up our drive with his plow in front and his chains on the tires. Now, that's the way to serve "cake"!

Michelle Packard said...

We did snow cake this year as well, but just at the moment of defeat and resignment to the fact we were going to be stuck at home for weeks my neighbor showed up and plowed us out. He got a box of chocolates for that one.

James said...

I was on the phone with you for that one, Shell, I remember it! I had to do mine in shifts!

Justin said...

You lucky people. I got freezing rain? I don't know if that counts for anything. I don't think my head has ever been so cold!

Joseph Petersen said...

Pictures??? Some of you may forget that we haven't seen the snow yet. I haven't seen that much snow since Logan.