20 June 2010

My Father's Day

Well, it's been a long week, and I've been blessed by so many people who, together, made this one incredible Father's Day. A special thanks to Bryce, who took time off work, flew out here, and headed up a major construction project under the supervision of a neurotic and often undecided contractor. I know it wasn't my idea of a vacation, and we couldn't have done it without him, so again and again, my sincerest thanks. Of course I can't neglect the invaluable assistance of the true and ultimate supervisor, Michelle. You should have seen her supervise; sometimes she did it so voraciously that she had to take a nap just to recover so she could start supervising again. She was a trooper, and she earned the right to roll her breadsticks in garlicky, buttery goodness late Friday night. Dad even made it out for about 18 hours during our most critical period of construction: the cabinets, and we're all so glad he did. Thank you all, from all of us, for your amazing efforts in our behalf. We are truly blessed to have family who would rally their time, energy, and talent in our behalf. And I should definitely mention last night's visit by Ron Sevigny, a member of our ward. He graciously stopped by at a moment's notice to help me solve the leak issues under the cabinet and prep the gas line for the stove. His aid was a perfect bookend to our hectic week, and I'm grateful for his service.

So, for Father's Day I got to cook a meal in my new kitchen using onions, radishes and basil from our garden, do the dishes in my new sink, and enjoy a meal under my new chandelier in my dining room. Liz and I were up until 4:30 this morning cleaning, organizing, installing, and otherwise working like the maniacs we are to get our home in shape for the sabbath. It's amazing that only 7 days ago we were enjoying the crumbs of strawberry Nutella cake and singing Come Thou Fount over and over and over.

The long week seems to have paid off, however, and the kitchen is in final stages. I have to fix the island lights (same box, different lights—who does that?), install the light over the sink, touch up the paint, and do some trim work. Oh yes, and we're running back to IKEA this week to pick up new countertops and that elusive 12" wall cabinet. Dan and I are finishing the floors tomorrow, and hopefully getting the toekicks and side trim in so things are basically done. Did I mention I installed the island all by myself? Well, I did, and it was scary business. Virtually everything up to that point was fixable, fillable, or otherwise adjustable, but once I drilled a hole through that floor, mind-changing was no longer an option without a major tear-out-the-cabinets-and-half-the-floor redo. I'm relieved to say that everything worked out just fine. We were even able to use the not long enough countertops to cover the island—they were perfect. Sweet victory.

I'm not going to give a full reveal until it's all done, but here are a few teasers. We love you all and look forward to giving you a personal tour in our new space.













3 comments:

Michelle Packard said...

It's awesome...all of it!!!

Justin said...

James, I wish I could have been there to help in the madness! It looks wonderful, can't wait to see the whole thing, and someday, in person!

Glenn and Sara said...

Very EXCITING! I love that the pantry doubles as a place to hide from the kids. LOL!