25 February 2014

Classic Joshua

I had a great conversation with Joshua that I just had to record for all of time, but here is some background first.

Last night I made a chocolate smoothie/ice cream for the boys and myself that I poured into our cups.  While the boys enjoyed theirs I cleaned up because for some reason I cannot enjoy a treat unless it is cleaned up.  Yes, I have issues.  Before I was done cleaning up, Hyrum made a small mess, so I took a rag and wiped it up but left the rag.  After Hyrum was done he finished wiping everything up and then threw the rag.  He likes to throw things away when he is done, but this time it found my cup of smoothie and knocked it off the counter and spilled chocolate smoothie all over the cabinets and floors. I may have screamed.  Ooops!  James had him clean up just enough that he could see that he helped but not so much that he made it worse.  Anyway, after the floor was cleaned up I tackled the cabinets but found that squatting just wasn't going to happen for me, so I called Michael and Joshua in to help me out.  I had them spraying and wiping the cabinets when this great conversation began.

While cleaning Joshua, for some reason, told me that when Hyrum is older that he should have to clean up a mess like this to make up for making the mess now.  So, I clarified that I should keep track of every mess and mistake that Hyrum makes, and then when he is older I should punish him for all of them.  He readily agreed.  Then, I asked if he thought I should go back and remember every mess he made and have him start making up for all of them now.  He hesitated at this and astutely pointed out that he had spilled an entire gallon of milk at one point and that he was now making up for that by helping to clean up this mess.  Being encouraged by this I then pointed out that I could make of list of all of his mistakes as a toddler and have him make up for them.  He finally got the point and decided that we shouldn't keep track of Hyrum's mistakes to punish him for later.

I did find it interesting, though, that even though we don't make a list of crimes and punishments of our toddlers, we just teach them the best we can and later off in  life if they have younger siblings or children it will all catch up with them.  I know that I cannot imagine that I made nearly as many messes as I have cleaned up with my toddlers and even my older children.  It all comes back later which I think Joshua saw a little more clearly last night.   I hope you enjoyed hearing the way Joshua thinks.  :)

No comments: