30 March 2013

Fun at School

I am glad that my kids tolerate having me as their teacher because I sure love it!  Even though we are no longer going to Costa Rica this summer, I have still enjoyed learning Spanish with the boys.  I wish that I could have signed the boys up for my Spanish class, too, but since most colleges don't accept 10 year olds we are just enjoying taking the class together.   I must admit, though, that is humbling to see your 9 year old lap circles around you in a college class.  He is kind enough, though, to watch me take my tests and not point out my mistakes.

In addition to learning Spanish, I just love math.  I know this comes as a shock but it is really fun teaching my boys math and seeing them become quite proficient.  As a college teacher of many students with math phobias, I am grateful that I can help my boys avoid such problems.  Both Michael and Joshua have started junior high math and it is just so much fun to study with them and help them learn and really understand the concepts we are studying.

History is another favorite.  I know that I learned all about history growing up but don't remember much of it.  We spent the last couple of weeks studying the Civil War which was fun after visiting Virginia over Spring Break.  It was fun to study the battles and leaders, how the war began and ended.  I had never particularly enjoyed history growing up but have found it much more enjoyable to study on my own and with my kids.

There are many other subjects we study but in general it is just a lot of fun to study together and learn together.  I also love that learning is much more fun when we get to choose the topics and explore them together and at our own pace.  Homeschooling rocks and I am grateful that I have this opportunity to teach my boys!


1 comment:

Lynne said...

I'm glad for you too!