02 August 2012

Babies are much smarter than mothers

I have learned that you forget a lot about babies after a 5 year break, but I am learning quickly and remembering that babies are pretty smart.  So, what makes babies smarter than mothers?

1.  Babies sleep when they are tired.  

Mommies try to get way too much done even when they are tired.  

2.  Babies eat when they are hungry.  

Mommies eat too much because they are tired (refer to #1)

3.  Babies don't eat when they are not hungry.  

I have seen many mothers latch their babies on every time their baby cries whether they are hungry, have a little gas pain or are just tired.  Now that I am able to nurse long term I can see why.  Just the other day we went to a play because several of the boys' friends were in it.  Well, Hyrum was tired and just wanted to sleep but would not fall asleep in my arms and cried to show his displeasure.  But I wanted to see the play, so hey, why not 'feed' him because then he will be quiet and I can enjoy the play, right?  I have recently learned that babies will nurse but not eat, so yes, I can latch him on anytime I want him to be quiet but he knows not to eat when he is not hungry and just enjoys the comfort that comes from suckling.  If you put food in my mouth I would eat it!  This makes babies much smarter than most of us.    

4.  Babies are not fooled by our attempts to control them.  

Hyrum usually sleeps at night for about 8 hours.  Not bad for his age, but if he wants to start that long sleep at 5 or 6 then I am not too thrilled.  So, I woke him up the other night around 9 and tried to feed him (refer to #3) and put him back to bed.  It was as if I had never woken him up.  He got up to eat 8 hours after the initial meal that he had initiated.  Darn!  

Hopefully I can learn lessons from my baby and if nothing else I can learn to trust him and quit trying to get him to do things the way I want them done.  :)

No comments: