12 July 2012

Canning Season Has Begun

Last year was the first year that I really canned and now that I am no longer pregnant I am excited to do it again!  I decided to start with peaches because they were on sale and tasted amazing!  I picked up 45 lbs of peaches on Tuesday.  All of the boys were going to be gone on Wednesday, so I thought that Hyrum and I would see what we could do on our own.  I got everything prepped in time for his usual nap, but then he decided that today would be the day that he would eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hour with little sleep between.  Hmmm. . . canning under those circumstances was a new adventure for me.  Sometimes he enjoyed the swing, sometimes he would lay on the floor and sometimes he would cry no matter what I did.  Finally I pulled out the Baby Bjorn which a friend gave to me.  It was the first time I used it and was pretty excited when I figured out to get myself in and then Hyrum in as well.  I am sure it would have been entertaining to watch, but alas no one was around to enjoy the show.

In the end I had to prep all of my supplies, go feed the baby, peel and de-pit the peaches, go feed the baby, but then I worked really fast to put the peaches in the jars, process them and get the next batch of peaches ready.  By the time I got the next batch ready to process I was feeding the baby again.  I'm pretty sure he is going to be giant by the end of the week.  So, why do I have time to sit and write this blog?  Because now he is sleeping, finally!  I am pretty sure that he will sleep all day today after staying up all day yesterday.  I should find something to do!

I am pretty excited about the peaches.  They look great.  I got 14 quarts, but two didn't seal and one broke during processing.  I have never had a jar break on me, so I was perplexed to see peaches floating in the water when I opened the pot.  I couldn't figure out what had happened until I lifted the jar and everything else fell out the bottom.  Yes, I am still a new canner.  :)  Other than that the peaches look great and I can't wait to do another batch tomorrow!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Every year I say I am going to can, but I have such a hard time getting around to it. Maybe, you will inspire me.