31 July 2012

Back to School

By the end of summer we are always ready to start school again and that time has come.  When I told the boys last week that we would be starting school soon they were super excited.  This is always a good sign.  I was a little concerned about doing school with a baby, so I spent all of last week prepping, and it paid off.  We are two days in and everything is going great!  Having all of my materials prepped ahead of time is a must now and it sure relieves stress when trying to take care of a baby and run school.

In June we decided to 'redo' our school room.  When we say redo we mean that we moved it out of the small room downstairs and into the family room (the big room).  It is perfect!  We have tons of storage, great bookshelves, a round table to work at and plenty of comfortable seating.  The boys like checklists, so I created new checklists for every day.  These were even more exciting this year because they could see what new things we were going to study, like Latin cognates.  It is amazing how easily wowed these guys are.  Another fun thing we are doing is memorizing scriptures-this may involve candy, and who can complain about that!

We learned which activities are best to do while Hyrum is eating (like Mommy reading time), so we always save them for that time-that was definitely an answer to prayer.  Lucky for us Hyrum usually sleeps through most of school.  I know this won't always be the case, but I will take it for now.

It is nice to be back into a routine and feel more normal-normal being defined as not pregnant.  I had my follow-up appointment today and everything looks good, so not only do I feel great but my doctor says I am good to go.  This is good because that is how I have been acting.  :)  So, we are back to normal (well a new normal) and enjoying life and school!

(I will add some pics tomorrow of our new school room and the boys hard at work.)

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Back to school is such an exciting time! And routine...so good for kids!

Rachel Elaine said...

Welcome to schooling with a baby! I'm considering schooling without a baby for a while :) Are you using a Latin program or making up your own? I took Latin in high school, but would like to start younger with my kids. I would also like to teach French and Spanish. Good Times.

Liz said...

We are just learning Latin cognates. I found a list online and we learn one every day. I, too, took Latin and remember that the vocabulary helped me with English vocabulary, so that is our goal. Once we learn the cognates we plan to do Spanish or French next. We may use Rosetta Stone, but I haven't decided.