03 April 2011

Conference Memories

As I'm enjoying conference (yes, I'm multitasking) I feel inclined to share on here why I love conference so much. It's a pain to set aside an entire weekend, and boy, I tell you, I had some great plans for this gorgeous 70˚+ spring weekend, but I've never regretted it, not once in my entire life. As I've listened, enjoyed, and pondered the messages of the prophets this weekend, I remembered the moment that converted me from a conference attender to a conference partaker.

While serving in Toronto, I enjoyed the November 1999 conference from the Toronto Stake Center. At the time I was serving in the mission office, making the transition from mission secretary to some other responsibilities in there. It was a nontraditional mission assignment, and we spent a great deal of time attending to little mission "fires" that erupted all too frequently with cars, apartments, and companionships. That cool Saturday afternoon, however, I must have been ready to be taught, because I have never forgotten that conference session, even more than a decade later.

The last two talks of that session were by the then junior members of the Quorum of the 12, Elders Eyring and Holland. It was during these power house moments that I was taught the truths of the plan of salvation, and received the witness of the Holy Ghost of their verity. Elder Eyring talked about repentance, its cleansing power, and its inability to wipe away consequences, and Elder Holland followed immediately with the promise of eternity that is given to the righteous followers of Christ. It was a near all-encompassing encounter with the Great Plan of Happiness. I often reflect on those talks and the experiences I treasure in relation to them.

After conference yesterday, the following message came on as our stream continued after the conclusion of the session. It is an autobiographical story from Elder Holland's talk from that day so many years ago, and it is one that continues to inspire and impress me. The last few years have been pivotal in our family in so many ways, and as I reflect on my life and the message of His Apostle, I know the promises of a loving Saviour are real and can and should shape every moment of my life.

Indeed, "Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come."

1 comment:

Dad said...

Thank you for sharing son.