03 February 2010

Who do you eat lunch with?

We started doing history using 'The Story of the World' during lunch and love it! So, we each lunch with people like Genghis Khan, Charles the Hammer and many others (we'll be eating with Joan of Arc tomorrow). I have learned that I don't know much about world history but am loving learning about it now. Yesterday we read about the Turks conquering Constantinople. If you don't know the story you should read about it and the role the eclipse played . . . very fascinating! So, today we just had to listen to 'Istanbul' by They Might Be Giants (the one that talks about Constantinople and Istanbul). The boys thought it was awesome that there was a song about what we had just learned. It was tons of fun and the boys are still pretending to play the instruments while they listen--so cute! I'm pretty sure we have listened to it about 20 times now. :) That was one very well spent dollar (literally $1).

But today we learned about the bubonic plague--I had no idea how many people died and the effect it had on society. Absolutely incredible! Well, now you know how fun our lunches are . . enjoy yours!

2 comments:

Rachel Elaine said...

That's awesome! I like the idea of reading at lunch, I just haven't embraced it yet. That's what Linda does when she's here.

We've really enjoyed 50 Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin. It has similar stories to what you mentioned. Well written and not at all boring!

Yay for homeschooling :)

Liz said...

I'll have to look those up, I've been on the prowl for new things to read to the boys!