14 February 2010

The Kitchen

So, I'm just a crazy blogger today. I put together new sketches of our kitchen remodel, and I wanted to share and get feedback. General notes:
  • White cabinets with vertical insets. Yes, like Michelle's; just like Michelle's, I think.
  • Removal of the soffit above the existing cupboards; who thought of those anyway?
  • Cupboards on far left of the window are glass front, cabinet to ceiling, with a row of cubbies. I love the cubbies, but might forego them if I need a little more counter space.
  • Dark wood countertops unless I find something I like better.
  • Dark wood (laminate) floors.
  • Stainless steel appliances.
  • The walls will be a real red, I hope, and not that pinkish crayon red that appears here.
  • We're closing the door into the kitchen and shortening it on the other end to open it into the living/dining area. It's going to be a great room (yup, totally chuckling to myself . . .)
  • The island will match the cabinets, but be about 3" taller.
  • We think we'll be able to center the sink better under the window with minimal effort. We'll see.
  • The sink is a huge farm-style basin with a huge frontal presence. I love it, and will love it even more more with a tall antiqued faucet. Yum.
So, here's the floor plan, subject to some ooching and shuffling, but pretty well in place:
And here is each wall, first the way it is, then the way I wish it was:
And this is what we're doing right now to make sure that everything will work the way we want it. I decided to tape off the actual area of the island and put the table there for good times, then tape off the new wall of cabinets. I did this all early in the week, of course, then I opened my Martha Stewart Living tonight, and lo, there was someone doing exactly the same thing so he could see where his furniture would sit in his room. I am obviously Martha-worthy.
So, what do you think? Thoughts? Advice? Mean-spirited remarks meant to taunt and annoy? Well, if it's too mean, maybe you should email it . . .

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I love it! You'll have to have a Grand Opening with treats!

Heather said...

Can we help? We accept payment in the form of amazing cooking!

Rachel Elaine said...

I would love to remodel a kitchen! Have fun. But my one word of caution from personal experience, is that lamanite wood flooring is very easy to ruin. We put top quality Pergo in our dining room(clearanced so it wasn't too expensive), but it got ruined easily just by having a spill here or there. The liquid gets in the seams. Ours totally got swollen and cracked. I couldn't imagine having it in the kitchen. . .

It seems to me that there should be a way to seal it but noone at Lowes or Home Depot knew of any type of sealant.

dawneradg said...

I would also caution against the laminate because of warping. We have three friends that have had to rip out their floors after a few years from warping (one had Ikea flooring, one Pergo, and the other I am not sure of the brand).

You might want to check your local Home Depot. There is a newer product out that looks a lot like wood. It even has grooves to make it feel more real. It is made out of linoliem, so it is waterproof (really...check it out before you think "EWWW linoliem"). It comes in planks, not sheet. They have a good selection of color choices, including a very dark one. We were testing out the abuse factor. It wouldn't scratch with a key, my husband had to take a wrench and really dig into it to get it to show. Unlike laminate, the color isn't just on the surface. So scratches don't show as easily.

Other then that I think your plans look really nice. I especially love the farm-style sink.