25 February 2009

The tortoise and the hare

This is how I feel about math right now.  Michael is my steady consistent tortoise who does a couple pages most days.  Then, there is Joshua who does 10 - 20 pages in one day and then goes weeks or months without doing a page.  Seeing as he isn't even old enough to be in Kindergarten I don't worry about it.  But yesterday he got new books in the mail.  My tortoise was approaching the end of his book, so I ordered new ones and grabbed new ones for Joshua while I was at it--save on shipping.  But when they arrived he wanted to start them immediately.  He was very distraught that I would not allow him to start his new book until he had finished his old ones.  He thus proclaimed that he would finish today, so he could start his new books.  What he did not realize was that he had 48 pages to go.  Now to his credit I really think he would have done it had it not been a beautiful day which he spent most of outside playing, but in the end he did do 15 of those pages and neatly I might add--I was very impressed!  But in the end as we all know, the tortoise will always win the race!  He isn't quite there yet, but I don't think he is catchable.  

Proof yet again that all children have their own personalities! 

2 comments:

Mom said...

Think how much less frustrated children would be as adults if all parents could calmly and rationally homeschool.

James said...

Amen Mom, AMEN!