29 July 2008

Mowing

When we first explored the possibility of renting this house, they told us lawn care was included.  We were grateful, but not not wowed; I mean, mowing the lawn every 2 weeks just isn't a big deal for us.  When we signed the contract they indicated that the conditions had changed: no lawn care, but they left a mower and gas can.

So, after we got our initial unpacking done, I set to mow the lawn.  Unfortunately, the didn't leave us just any mower, they left us a mulcher, and to add to the mounting lawn issues, the lawn hadn't been mown in over a fortnight.  Judging from the dried shards of grass laying among the green, it had been several weeks before that one as well.  I compared the two mowers, and the landlord's had twice the horsepower of my WalMart special, so I opted for that one.  A complete waste.  Not only did I have to deal with grass way too long for normal cutting, but I also had to deal with the very long grass left from the previous mow.

I proceeded to pull out old trusty and went to work slowly but surely.  It only took an hour and my my entire lawn was finally a blanket of freshly mowed grass.  I don't mean a carpet, but a blanket that sits on top of the carpet.  Because it was 9 pm and dark, I called it quits for the night, and after tennis this morning I took another swipe at it.  Again I tried the mulcher hoping it would help chop up the wreckage, but again to no avail, so out came the old mower.  I completely re-mowed the lawn, and I think I'm still going to have to rake it all up to keep from killing it.

Words just don't adequately express my frustration with the situation.  Oh, and the gas can leaks BIG TIME.

Oh well, at least I had a good helper today!

No comments: