03 April 2014

Adventures in Pregnancy

This pregnancy has been a little rougher than anticipated, so I've had to find new ways of dealing with things.  First, I just have to say that indigestion is my great nemesis.  I don't know why, but it has gotten worse with every pregnancy and gets worse as the pregnancy progresses.  I am now to the point where I will take 2 Zantac early in the day and then later after dinner.  It is ridiculous and makes most foods look gross to me.  At least I shouldn't gain much more weight.

This pregnancy I learned what Restless Legs are, and I don't like them.  When I lay down my legs feel tingly and want to move all the time.  I did some research and didn't find anything very useful since I already eat bananas.  But right around the time that it was getting really bad my family started a healthy lifestyle challenge.  As part of that challenge I started walking for 1 mile every night.  And magically my legs were better.  So, note to self and anyone else who may have to deal with this very annoying syndrome, walk before bed and maybe do a few calf raises!

Morning sickness.  Up until this pregnancy I have been pretty consistent that as soon as the 2nd trimester hit I quit feeling sick and life was good.  But this year winter decided that it was going to take over the world, and I think that it really affected me personally.  The only fix I had for this was a trip to Florida, and well, it is not a quick or easy fix, but it was fun and I felt tons better by the end of the trip!

More children!!!  I think this pregnancy has similar challenges to my third when I had two little ones running around to take care of.  I remember hiring someone to help me clean and napping the moment the two of them went to sleep.  Now I have four children, but only one toddler, though, one is enough.  My boys have learned to make their own breakfast and lunch, clean it up and help mom out when she needs it.  I am a control freak by all definitions of the term, so this is very difficult for me to not be able to do everything, but I think it has been really good for my boys to help me when I need it and learn to put others' needs before their own.  They are great at playing with Hyrum (the toddler) and helping mom get a nap when she needs it.  I don't think they will be sad when I am running on all cylinders again, but for now they get to learn what it really takes to keep the house going and help make sure it happens.

33 weeks!  I am almost there!  I have always had my babies before week 39, so we are getting close, and I honestly cannot wait.  Usually I think the baby is easier to take care of inside, but I don't think so this time.  I am ready to be able to bend, sleep, eat and really exercise (3 mph walk is not my idea of exercise).  I know that sleep will be sketchy but the ability to eat and exercise and feel human again will be worth the trade off!  And I'll have a sweet little baby to cuddle with.

So, 5-6 more weeks and we'll be there, but for now I'll walk at night, eat little and enjoy my Zantac.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

3 mph is definitely exercise for me! Hang in there Liz!

Jodi said...

I felt like my nausea got worse with each pregnancy. Weird how that can happen. And just so you know, I agree with you that when a pregnancy is really bad it does get easier when the baby comes. But after just a little while you get used to your body feeling more normal and the baby duties feel rough. Although, I think you're right that it will be a little better because you have older kids who can do most things on their own.