16 December 2013

Canterbury



This is my view right now at Canterbury Cathedral in Southern England. It is the seat of the Anglican Church and is the heart of the Christian church in England, dating back more than 1500 years to the first Christian Roman conquests. 

I have had a lovely time here, and I have fallen a little bit in love with Canterbury and Kent, it's county. It has been especially meaningful because of the rich choral history related to the Church of England and it's unique training and writing for the young male voice. 

We attended Evensong last eve and I was quite moved by the music and the service. There was a unique relationship between the music and the space, much of it being written for this space because the composers were the Gentleman of the Chapel Royal and as such did compose for the monarchy and this church in particular. I felt such a strong presence of the Spirit as we listened and sang together in the service. The texts were drawn from the Psalms and the renditions were pure and beautiful and holy. I went to my bed in peace last night after my time there. 


I am skipping a group movie tonight (The Hobbit) so that I can return for the Carol Service. I am looking forward to it and the peace of the Christmas season. 

It is especially difficult to be here without my family the week before Christmas, but I have taken comfort in the spirit of the music and the joy of the journey. 

Canterbury is a very important place, besides being the world seat of the Church if England. Tonight I saw the inn in which the Mayflower charter contract was signed and I marveled at the this city played in opening the world to the reformation and restoration. The first book in English was written about a groups of pilgrims on their way here.  Nothing short if divine intervention saved the cathedral from bombing in The Second World War. Thomas Beckett was murdered inside the cathedral for insisting to William that the church wielded more power than the monarchy, a fight we still fight to this day. 

Canterbury is a vibrant mix of old and new, centuries of tradition and modern education. I would live in a place like this. Perhaps I will some day. 

1 comment:

Lynne said...

The town or the chapel? Glad you are enjoying your trip! Love you!