09 October 2011

Pinewood Derby

These things are so fun, except the wild children, the lack of order, and the noise. Other than that, though, pinewood derbies are, um, the bomb.

The boys had a great time, they raced that track at least a dozen times each, and as a group, we managed to make a 7-person bracket as complex and endless as possible.

All in all, though, it was a great time, especially for this Dad and his two, yes, TWO cub scouts. I'm getting old, and it's a delight to experience all the things that are slowly moving me from young to aged. The boys drew out plans of their cars, and I did my best to help them realize them, right down to their chosen numbers and the paint jobs. I think they both felt like they were able to plan, execute, and adjust in ways that made them both very happy.

Plus, I got to play with molten lead.

The boys made great cars, had a great time, and Michael brought home a 2nd place ribbon, Joshua was in 3rd. Having two kids in the derby is quite the change, I'll tell you that. They'll never win best of show, unfortunately, because we'll have to split our votes between them every time. I don't think they care much, though, because I'm pretty sure they each voted for someone else.

I can't lie—I'm a little proud that I had to do twice as much work with twice the sons as the others, and my boys still had cars that placed. I only did the things they really shouldn't, like unsafely operate a jigsaw and pour molten lead, so the glory definitely goes to them.

I'm a little proud of [glory in?] all of us.






2 comments:

Jodi said...

We've got all girls and you've got all boys! We'll have such different experiences this way. Lucky Justin gets to do scouts and still do stuff like pinewood derbies. Great job on placing twice!

Michelle Packard said...

We have boys and girls...best of both worlds...right?