13 December 2010

Snow day Sunday

Well, church yesterday was cancelled, although I still don't understand why. I mean, we were under a Blizzard Warning, but it maybe should have downgraded to a "Blizzard Suggestion." Oh well. We passed the time well, making some peanut brittle for Grandpa Turner and playing games. We also learned some important and timeless lessons from a little family movie time:
  • Chris Columbus is a terrible, terrible director.
  • John Williams can generally redeem the emotional impact of any movie, even one directed by Chris Columbus.
  • When the previous two elements are combined with the out of control screaming of a near infant Macaulay Caulkin, Home Alone becomes one great movie. The same cannot be said of the first Harry Potter movie. I think it's the lack of young Mr. Caulkin that ruins it.
This Christmas season marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Home Alone, and while that makes me just a little old, I still found great joy in sharing its complete absurdity with my own boys, who, incidentally, would likely defend their home against invasion in much the same way Kevin MacAllister did.

I also remembered seeing it in the theater the first time. If I'm not mistaken, Dad took us all to see it at the Falls theatre in 1990. How that theatre stayed open, I will never understand, but I know it was $5 for our whole family to see a film there. What a great memory to dig up on a blustery day in 2010. Thanks, Dad!


1 comment:

Dad said...

Yes, good memories of the Falls Theater. What was so interesting was the owner always said he made up the finances on the popcorn. $1.00 for a "huge" buttered popcorn!